What is TMJ/TMD?TMJ (TemporoMandibular Joint) is the joint connecting your jawbone to your skull, and TMJ disorders are called TMD. Many factors can contribute to the development of TMD, including improperly placed orthodontics. It often begins in childhood, other possible causes may be; early bottle-feeding (before 9 months old), thumb sucking, or neuromuscular development problems. Due to widely varied symptoms, it is often undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Some of the most common signs of TMD include:
- Migraines or headaches
- Tinnitus (ringing in ears) or earaches
- Repeatedly fracturing teeth, dental crowns, and other restorations
- Grinding or clenching teeth
- Pain in the shoulders, upper cervical neck area, or behind the eyes
- Popping sound or impaired functioning in the jaws
DiagnosisMany patients have suffered with symptoms such as debilitating migraines for years. Despite seeing neurologists or pain specialists, and undergoing CT scans and MRIs, the cause remains undiagnosed. This leaves few options, aside from habitual use of pain medication, which can have long-term damaging effects on overall health. TMD is the often-overlooked answer to a combination of mystifying symptoms.
We use the K7 Evaluation System, a state-of-the-art computerized measurement device by Myotronics, leaders in neuromuscular technology. It provides a wealth of precision data, including muscle readings, joint sonography, and computerized jaw tracking. Dr. Suh analyzes this data, along with the results of your evaluation, to ensure an accurate diagnosis and plan effective treatment.
TreatmentWe provide individualized, non-invasive, non-surgical treatment for TMD. Splint therapy protects the joint from undue strain with a comfortable appliance. A dental orthotic is custom made for each TMD patient. Depending on the nature of the condition, traditional dentistry, orthodontics, or a combination thereof may also be used. We have seen hundreds of patients taken completely off of long-term prescription pain medication. Relief from TMD can give you back your life. If you have been diagnosed with, or believe you may have this condition, schedule an appointment with Dr. Suh today.
- TMJ Treatment WakeForest - Comprehensive diagnostics and noninvasive treatment relieve TMJ symptoms in Wake Forest
- Dentist Wake Forest NC - Suffering from TMJ Disorders in Wake Forest NC? Dentist resolves symptoms, starting with accurate diagnosis
- TMD Treatments Raleigh NC - Improved quality of life, free of TMD pain a visit away, thanks to treatments from premier practice near Raleigh NC
- What Is TMJ Wake Forest NC - Wake Forest, NC area patients ask, what is TMJ?
- TMD Specialist Wake Forest - Why Wake Forest patients should visit a TMD Specialist
- Dentist TMJ Wake Forest - Wake Forest area Dentist explains TMJ
- Best TMJ Dentist Wake Forest NC - Best path towards TMJ relief is with your dentist in Wake Forest, NC