Watch video testimonial
What is gum disease?Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, is a chronic inflammatory condition. It affects the periodontal structure surrounding your teeth, beginning with an infection along the gumline. Left untreated, gum disease will progress, eventually resulting in bone deterioration and tooth loss. Gum disease can also cause failure of cosmetic and restorative dental work. It needs to be addressed prior to procedures such as implants or Invisalign. Gingivitis is the earliest and most easily treated form of gum disease. At this stage, there is no bone loss, and it is usually painless. Periodontitis is the more advanced stage of gum disease. It occurs when the infection has moved below the gumline, causing breakdown of periodontal tissues. The loosening of teeth and deterioration of bone begins gradually, progressing if not treated.
SymptomsMany people believe it is normal for gums to bleed when brushing or flossing. This is not the case. Bleeding gums is the most common sign of disease. Other symptoms include discoloration or lesions on the gums, and chronic bad breath. Sometimes there are no noticeable signs, particularly in the early stages. The only way to be sure if you have gum disease is through a dental evaluation.
TreatmentIn the past, scraping the roots of your teeth was the standard treatment for gum disease. However, with modern technology, instrumentation, and equipment we have more comfortable, more effective options. Dental lasers are used to kill bacteria in non-surgical procedures, as well as allowing comfortable, scalpel-free surgery, if needed.
Regular teeth cleaning, and monitoring progress, is an integral part of treatment. We will schedule checkups every three months for a couple of years. When we are certain that your oral health is fully restored, we begin scheduling appointments at less frequent intervals.
ResultsAccurate diagnosis of gum disease is vital; effective treatment is even more important. Our contemporary methodology is the key to our amazing results. Every member of our team is focused on your health. We will customize your treatment to achieve the best possible results for you, personally.
You deserve great oral and overall health. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Suh to find out if you have, or are at risk for, gum disease.
- Dentistry Near Me Wake Forest - Disease treatment starts by asking, "What gentle, effective Dentistry is near me in Wake Forest?"
- Receding Gum Treatment NC - NC dentist takes non-invasive approach to receding gum treatment
- Periodontics Wake Forest - Approach to periodontics in Wake Forest focuses on gentle treatment of gum disease, modern technologies
- Gum Disease Symptoms Wake Forest - Wake Forest dentist urges consistent preventive measures to detect gum disease early
- Periodontal Care In Raleigh - Home care and consistent in-office follow-up are integral to improving periodontal health in Raleigh
- Gum Disease Prevention Wake Forest - How Wake Forest area patients can participate in gum disease prevention